Wireless Car Charger Review
We all make a point not to leave home without our smartphones, and these devices are more than just a way for us to be reached, or to call out when we need help. Phones have become an extension of our minds, and provide many functions which help us to remember appointments, get driving directions, communicate, and so much more. Often it’s in our car with us. Often when leaving to a destination we need to make sure the phone is charged before leaving home, work, etc.
Car chargers for wireless devices are quite a big business these days, and there are countless brands, styles, and technologies available to choose from as a result. Having a wireless car charger which sits on your dashboard, and offers hands free capability while at the same time charging your phone is a very convenient thing to have handy. There are a handful of technologies used to get power from your vehicle.
There’s no single right type of charger for everyone, and given the number of types of phones out there, even the right style of charger needs variations to account for this.
There are basically two types of charging methods used to deliver power to a smartphone or tablet. The most common connection types are MicroUSB, USB-C or proprietary iPhone cable.
The most common is MicroUSB, which adapts to standard USB ports on one end and standard USB on the other. Any USB port can be used to charge these devices and gets you power either from a adapted wall plug, computer usb port, car alternator, cigarette lighter, etc. The wireless car charger we are reviewing is a Qi wireless car charger which works on a process known as induction.
Induction creates a high-powered electromagnetic field which converts current as it contacts the charges on the battery. This field-to-electrodes contact is the same principle that allows wireless signals to work. It is important to note that not all phones and batteries work that well through induction. Many devices made after 2016 will work but not all of them. Below is a list of phones which are compatible with wireless charging:
- Apple iPhone: XS Max XS, XR, 8, 8 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy: S10 Plus, S10, S10e, Note 9, S9, S9+, Note 8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge (Plus more devices)
- Sony: Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XZ2 (Plus more devices)
- LG: G7 ThinQ, V30, G6 (US version only), G4 (optional), G3 (optional) (Plus more devices)
- Nokia: 9 PureView, 8 Sirocco
- Huawei: P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro,
- Microsoft Lumia: 1520, 1020, 930, 929, 928, 920
- Google: Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3,
- Nexus: Nexus 6, Nexus 5
- BlackBerry: Priv (Plus more devices)
Some induction chargers can interfere with WiFi/Cellular reception while in use which seems to be one of the common problem wireless chargers have. Generally, there are three types of chargers for vehicles, dash mount, cup holder chargers, and general chargers. These hold the phone, allow hands-free use, and charge the device, and in some cases depending on the the vehicle, will sync into the multimedia & on screen dash for audio controls and navigation.
The device we are reviewing is the CLEEBOURG 7.5W/10W Fast Charging Qi Wireless Car Charger. This charger measures about 5.6 x 5.3 x 2.7, and weighs about 10 ounces. Most of its size relates to the extension of its clamping arms, which hold your phone in place. The fixture holds the device to your dashboard is actually pretty small, and has a diameter of about 3”.
This unit powers with the infrared induction. The output power for this charger is 7.5W/10 W/5W. The input range is 5V/2A, or 9V/1.67A. This provides a charging efficiency of approximately 76% when compared to a wired connection. The package comes with the car charger, a suction cup, air vent clamp, 3ft USB cable, and a user manual.
- Select the suction cup or air vent mount according to your needs.
- After selecting an installation, aim at the position of the nut, then rotate to tighten it with the suction cup or air vent mount.
- Install the whole set of smart wireless car charger holder into air vent or center console or any other locations, connect the USB cable. Charging indicator light should be red (standby status).
- The 2 clamping arms will open and grip your phone automatically when you put the phone close to the holder within 100mm (in front of the infrared sensor), then red light will change to blue (charging status).
- Charging works better without a case or a case thinner than 4mm, a case with magnetic, metal or ring holder is not supported.
- Please use QC 2.0 or higher version adapter if you need fast charging.
1 * Smart Wireless Car Charger Holder
1 * Suction Mount
1 * Air Vent Mount
1 * USB Cable (Black)
1 * User Manual