Three Dash Cams Reviewed
Driving is always a bit of a gamble, and if you want to be sure you have proof that an accident wasn’t your fault, or if you just want to post videos of people doing stupid things on YouTube, you need a dash cam. And just like any other piece of technology these days, there are many different options so strap in and let’s go for a ride. These three dash cams which we have reviewed should provide you with all you need.
If you really like having the fancy gadgets with all the bells and whistles, the Thinkware U1000 is the dash cam for you. This beauty gives you a solid 150° viewing angle and has integrated GPS. With their enhanced Super Night Vision 2.0, you can feel confident that the 4K Ultra HD will catch what happens and where it happens any time of day, even during those late night pizza runs. The optional rear camera comes with 2K QHD. The Thinkware Cloud App allows for easy access on your smartphone and the unit itself intentionally comes with no screen to remove one more possible distraction. This pretty piece of hardware does need to be professionally hardwired into your vehicle.
- 4K UHD 30FPS or 2K QHD 60FPS - Capture sharp detailed footage in 4K native UHD or switch to 2K QHD at 60fps to make license plate reading a breeze with the new and improved 8 42MP Sony STARVIS image sensor
- 150-degree Viewing Angle
- Super Night Vision - Reduces noise and enhances image quality in low-light conditions
- Anti-file Corruption Technology - Improves the reliability of your Think ware memory card by minimizing the risk of loss footage due to bad blocks and data corruption
- 1 year manufacturer quality assurance - 1 year quality assurance is only valid when purchased from an authorized re-seller
- Thinkware Cloud 2 0*
Available on amazon.com
Garmin Dash Cam 66W
If the usual dash cam viewing angle isn’t enough and you want as much coverage as you can muster, check out the Garmin Dash Cam 66W with its 180° viewing angle. This compact, high resolution dash cam will provide you with recordings at 1440p at 60fps that you can review either on the Garmin Drive app or the 2 inch LCD screen on the dash cam itself. You can sync up to 4 cameras through the app; however the battery only lasts for 30 minutes if not plugged in. Also, if you want to have the Garmin recording while you’re parked, you’ll need a professional installation to hardwire it into your car.
- 180-Degree field of view captures crisp 1440P footage
- Automatically records and saves video of incidents; requires 8GB micro SD card, class-10 or faster (not included)
- Dash Cam auto sync enables you to control and play back footage from upto four cameras on your smartphone using the Garmin Drive app
- Driver alerts include forward collision, lane departure warnings (certain conditions may impair the warning function) and “go” alerts to enhance driver awareness
- Red light camera and speed camera location alerts (not available in all areas) can be updated as often as you like
Available at BestBuy
Vantrue N1 Pro
If all you want is enough video to catch a hit and run after the fact and don’t want to dish out hundreds of dollars not including installation, the Vantrue N1 Pro is just for you. This modest, compact, and inexpensive dash cam won’t let you down with its 160° viewing angle and back up battery to ensure it records if something goes wrong. It comes with Sony night vision sensor to increase visibility when it’s dark. An exciting feature for this little dash cam is its memory functions; the memory is looped so once the device is full, it will start overwriting the oldest files first. However, if it detects a collision, it will lock that bit of footage from being overwritten. Also, if you have the Vantrue hardwired in, it will automatically begin recording when it detects motion in front of your parked car.
- FHD 1080P Mini Dash Camera with Super Night Vision
- Mini and compact design (Size: 2.5x1.95x1.5in)
- HD 1920X1080P/30 fps video with advanced Sony Sensor IMX323, 160° wide-angle F1.8 six layers glass lens
- 24H Parking Monitor & Collision Detection
Priced from $79.99 and up at amazon.